Mushroom & Leek Soup
This mushroom & leek soup is a hearty warmer for those gray Pacific Northwest days.
- 2 medium leeks
- 1/2 - 1 lb fresh mushrooms thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups veggie or chicken stock
- fresh herbs, if desired
- salt & pepper
Slice leeks into 1/4" thick rounds.
In a 3-quart saucepan, melt the butter until the foam subsides. Sauté leeks, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté until liquid from mushrooms evaporates and they begin to brown.
Add wine; boil 1 minute. Add broth, herbs, salt & pepper to taste, and simmer for 5 minutes.
To make a richer, more savory version, try this:
- Once liquid has evaporated from mushrooms, add 4 pieces of chopped bacon and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- After adding broth, add 2 finely chopped potatoes and simmer until soft. Blend half of the soup in a blender and return to pot on low heat.
- Finally, add 1 cup half & half, stir until heated, garnish with chopped chives and serve hot with crusty bread.