Wild Rice & Shiitake Stuffing
A delicious combination of wild rice, shiitake mushrooms, and fresh herbs make a lovely fall stuffing.
- 1 lb fresh shiitake de-stemmed and sliced
- 2 cups wild rice
- 1 1/2 quarts chicken or veggie stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 rib celery chopped
- 1/3 cup toasted almonds coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh sage chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- Bring the stock to boil in a large stock pot, add wild rice and salt to taste. When the liquid returns to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until rice is tender and begins to splay. Drain if necessary and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add onions. Cook and stir until tender, 3-5 minutes. Add a generous pinch of salt and the garlic; cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and celery; cook until tender and lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Stir in the cooked rice and remaining ingredients. Cook, stirring, until sherry has evaporated.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Use to stuff poultry or place in a butter baking dish in a 350* oven for 20-30 minutes.