Fresh Mushroom Risotto
A hit among mushroom lovers, this comforting risotto can be made with your favorite variety of fresh mushrooms.
- 1 1/2 cups fresh mushrooms chopped
- 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 2 medium shallots chopped
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3-5 cups veggie, chicken, or beef stock
- Heat up stock in a large pot, then keep warm on low heat while you make the risotto.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat; add mushrooms and sauté until beginning to brown.
- Add butter or olive oil and shallots; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add rice and stir to coat with fat. Add a pinch of salt & pepper, followed by the wine. Cook and stir gently until liquid bubbles away.
- Begin adding warm stock to rice 1/2 cup or so at a time, stirring after each addition and about every minute. When the stock is just about evaporated, add more and stir again. The final mixture should be neither too soup nor dry.
- After about 30 minutes, begin tasting rice for doneness; ideally the rice is tender but a bit al dente. When the rice is ready, add salt to taste and mix in any fresh herbs you desire. Top with parmesan. Serve hot.