Cascadia Crab Cakes
These crab cakes make the best of the Pacific Northwest with fresh crab and organic mushrooms
- 1/2 - 1 lb fresh shiitake or mixed mushroom de-stemmed and diced fine
- 1/2 dungeness crab cooked & shelled
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- Panko bread crumbs
- salt & pepper
- Dry sauté mushrooms until golden brown. Season lightly with salt & pepper; set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, shred the cooked crab meat with a fork. Mix in cooked mushrooms, thyme, garlic, and beaten egg. Mix thoroughly.
- Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is a good consistency to form patties. It should be moist but not dripping.
- Heat a large skillet and melt enough butter or cooking oil to coat the pan. Form crab mixture into golfball-sized patties with your hands and place them one-by-one into the hot skillet. Do not crowd them.
- Allow crab cakes to brown before turning, about 5 minutes. Flip cakes and squash down gently with your spatula, being careful not to break them up.
- Serve hot with cocktail or tartar sauce. They can also be refrigerated and re-heated.